Friday, January 11, 2019

A moment in time.....

Writing has always brought me comfort. A way that I could share and document every bit of our child's journey, for us, for our children at some point in time where they may want to look back and read their whole story. Unique to them, memorable for us.

I never once thought that maybe my child's story wouldn't be able to be read by her. That the story would end before she was able to read and understand it. And that stinks.

But as I've come to realize, actually we've come to realize, her story began long before our time. God and Danielle had this life planned for her. And we really think that she was ok with it. I don't think today is a day that I'm able to elaborate much on that because today grief has struck me. HARD.

So for a moment I just need to share with the universe how much I miss our girl. God I miss her so much. One would think that when you have the 'blessing' of being able to sort of 'prepare' yourself, knowing that soon life will come to an end, that things would be easier. Nope. Doesn't exist. Easy doesn't exist in the world of losing a child even if you had a zillion years to prepare. I thought when we were going thru this with my Mom that being able to 'prepare' would make it easier for her too. Nope. Easy doesn't exist in the world of losing a parent, even if you had a zillion and one years to prepare.

So we are left with memories. And thank you lord Jesus we have a TON of them. But I selfishly want more. I want more memories. More walks on the beach. More road trips. More dance party's in the living room. More frosting cookies memories. More mornings of walking into her room singing, 'Good morning little peanut, good morning little girl.' and hearing her squeal with delight. More times of her saying 'yeaaaaaa' when I would ask her if she would 'babysit' her little sister for us. More times of going on adventures with her. More times of going to farmers markets and spending days at the pool. More times of my Dad coming to visit and him greeting her saying, 'where is Grandpa's cheerleader at.' More more more. Is that selfish of me? Maybe, because I know, we know, that God called her home when it was her time. But in life we always want more.

We are learning to live more simply. To live our days making memories instead of relishing in things. Things don't matter. Memories do. If I could never purchase another thing in my life, but I could forever make thousands of memories with my kids I'd be ok with that. Danielle will forever be a part of every memory that we will continue to make. It is just sad that she will be with us in a different way. The brightest start in the sky at night. The sunshine that soaks into our body's and shines on our face. The butterfly that appears when we need a reminder of her. Even the caterpillar that appeared in our garage last weekend on a 50 degree day, I believe was heaven sent.

My biggest fear is that our girl will be forgotten. We will never forget her and we don't want you to either. Please forever remember her smile, her infectious smile that even thru 13 brain surgeries, over 130 days in the nicu plus a hundred more days spent in the hospital over the last 6 years, she ALWAYS had a smile. She had a zest for life. And we were BEYOND blessed to be able to be a part of that. TO be her mommy, I tell you was my greatest joy. And I know her Daddy would tell you the same thing too.

So for a moment in time I wish I could just pause, or that I could go back. That I could kiss her one more time, that I could hold her hand and look into her eyes and say Danielle I love you, do you love your Mommy....and have her look back at me with the biggest grin you ever did see. That I could say to her one more time, are you my pretty big girl beautiful butterfly princess...and hear her say 'yeaaaaa' and giggle and smile in true Danielle fashion. For a moment I wish I could watch her and Dylan read one more book together, I wish I could put Brinkley in Danielle's crib one more time for a morning greeting. I miss our home being filled with nurses we loved. I wish for one more time at
7 am that I would hear that garage door close and I could be greeted by a friendly face one more morning. Even Dylan said last week, 'Mom, does it seem weird that we don't get to see nurses any more in the mornings?' I know he misses it too. For a moment in time....

I challenge you today my friend to embrace every moment of your day. Whether those moments are struggles that nobody knows about, or whether those moments are joyous and happy. Embrace this moment god gave you. Do it for you. Be thankful in those moments, remember they are a part of your journey.
And one more thing. Please forever remember this little beauty and pray for her and our family. One more day I will write more of our journey that I don't ever want to forget. Parts of our journey that we kept to ourselves, we will eventually share just so we don't forget the strength we had to have in those moments. But today all I can think about is how much I miss our girl and if I could just have one more moment in time...if I could have one more moment with all of our children together in real life, not just two together in real life and two in pictures. For just one more moment in time I could do our big group hugs and I could kiss all of my babies one right after another as we are all embracing each other. One more moment in time so I could say to her and have her look at me when I tell her I love her and I would forever fight for her. One more moment in time that we could just have our family together....


No comments: